Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday Feature: Sean Fitzgerald

Good afternoon!

So I almost forgot about getting this posted today! I've been busy at work and haven't had time to find anyone new to me this week - so I thought I'd take a moment to share a bit about someone I already know:


Sean Fitzgerald has one of those stories that I think really inspires. He was actually a lawyer for quite a few years. He had never really been very artistic in his first 25 years of life he says, but after law school, he started taking pictures and getting in touch with that creative side he never knew. Well, it turned out that not only did he love expressing that side of himself, but he was a natural at it. After about 10 years working at photography, Sean is now a successful professional photographer doing a wide variety of work - from editorial to fine art to commercial work.

I met Sean in one of those fate-induced sorts of ways this past year. I'd stumbled upon his website last year and instantly fell in love with his work and story. We had a brief exchange via email  last fall, but that's about where it ended for a bit.

In the spring, I managed to stop procrastinating and get myself out to the photo club's quarterly group critique. When I arrived, I discovered that I was standing in the studio of the very photographer whose photos I'd sat drooling over months before... and to top that, he was about to be teaching a wildlife workshop in Austin soon. This was a miracle event for me, as I had JUST come upon some money and it was the first time in my life I was able to afford something like a $1000 weekend workshop. Talk about the universe speaking to you!

The workshop was amazing. I have to say that Sean is one of the best teachers I've ever worked with. I gained so much from his wisdom and experience and the positive critiques I received from him and the others there gave me a hundred time more confidence in my own work. Heck, I even came away with a few photos that have since been in shows both in-state and out!

I think Sean's story can really inspire others - I know it inspired me. As someone who had never really been interested in photography until just a year ago, it excites me to see the possibility that no matter where you are in life, you can still discover new paths and passions along the way.

Thanks Sean!
SEANFITZGERALD.COM >



 

No comments:

Post a Comment